Saturday, September 1, 2007

My Favorite Moments

I'm working on getting Jameson to sleep in his crib so that in a few months we can have our bedroom all to ourselves again. I've been changing his diaper elsewhere, and trying to put him down in the crib a few times a day. Today was the first time he fell asleep in it!

It took him about 15 minutes to fall asleep, but he did it on his own. During that time, I got to enjoy my new favorite activity -- watching him when he doesn't know I'm there.

As soon as I put him down, I started loading the dishwasher and cleaning the kitchen, but I kept sticking my head in his room. He spent a few minutes staring at the bear (who is strapped to the bars, don't worry) then a few minutes staring at the wall, then a few minutes fussing before he finally fell asleep. I'd stick my head in every time I heard a sound, and stood there for three or four minutes watching him kick his little feet and make the little coughing sounds he does when he's not very happy. But he calmed himself down, got from his side to his back, and dozed off.

Standing there, I can't help but remember being in his position. I have memories from early childhood of being surprised by my parents. I would turn around, and there they were. Not talking, not trying to get my attention, just watching. I'm sure they did it hundreds of times without me catching them. And of course there are memories of them just showing up at the right time -- who knows how long they had been watching, waiting for me to need them. If you're reading this, Mom and Dad, thanks.

This is a very grown-up feeling, and the time when I feel most like a parent. I am standing there, focused 100% on him, ready to pick him up, change him, feed, him, rock him, or just hold him if he needs it. But he doesn't need it yet. And so I wait. And he had no idea that I'm there.

I feel this is one more way that God gives us glimpses of Him. Certainly God is much more proactive in our lives than I am in Jameson's life right now, but I don't always feel that. I'm sure those few minutes of fussing while he tried to get from his side to his back were very frustrating for Jameson. He felt alone. But he wasn't. Sometimes I need to remember that I'm not alone as well.

And now on to more fun stuff. Nathan doesn't buy waiting 'til six months for solid foods. Jameson got to suck on a corn cob. He was very confused.


He spent most of yesterday asleep. I couldn't bear to move him even though there are at least four "rules" violations here. Oh well.

Waking up. Strong little fists.


And in non-baby news, Nathan got shot.

By a pepper ball gun. He's in training to teach defensive tactics, and they have to experience these things, for some reason. Luckily the pepper spray wore off fast, but the hits might leave scars. He's so proud.

No comments: